Monday, March 31, 2008

Be Kind, Please Rewind……..

That’s how I feel about this weekend. It went by so fast, as they all do, but this one was more special because I finally got to see the fabulous Ms. Jill Scott and Raheem Devaughn live in concert. I’ve been waiting 3 months since I got the tickets waaaaaaaaaaay back in December and the wait was just about to kill me! lol I just want to go back and experience it all over again as those two put on quite a show. I can see it all re-playing through my head as I type these words. Strange I know but whatever.

Raheem opened and did his thing, interacted with the crowd and what not. There were two things that had me laughing during his performance, (1) his security guards trying to keep up with him as he maneuvered through the audience (especially this one guy that had the Mr. T mohawk cut) and (2) his use of flashcards with certain keywords on them. I got SO tickled at that, but then again it doesn’t take too much to make me laugh. He also humped the stage singing "You"….*sigh* Why man why?! Lol He didn’t perform too long. Maybe about hmmmmmmm 30 or 40 minutes but it was enough to get the crowd going.

During the intermission when the crew was changing out the sets, they bring out these rugs for Jill and the backup singers to stand on during the performance. So you see one mic at the front of the stage for Jill and three mics and chairs back to the left of her for the backup singers.

Z asks, "Is that it?"
Me: "What do you mean?"
Z: "I mean are those all the people that are gonna be up there? Are they singing acapella?"
Me: " I highly doubt it."
Z: "So where is the band gonna be over in the right corner?"
Me: * giving him the side-eye * "Dude!! You know they are behind the curtain!" lol lol lol
Z: "Yeah, I know. It’s so hot in here it’s got me delirious!"

It was burning up in that place. I didn’t even realize it until people left out during the intermission of just how warm it was. Anyway, Jill comes out and everyone goes wild, present company included. For the next two hours and twenty minutes, I was privileged to hear this woman. Her voice so powerful, beautiful, and strong and her stage presence….wow!

OMG! Pump the brakes! I almost forgot………I MET RAHEEM!!!!

During the Jill performance, I had to go to the ladies room. As I’m making my way back to my seat, I see this guy. I think to myself that he looks really familiar. Me being me, I check out his shoes and think those look familiar too. As my eyes made their way up his body checking out his outfit up to his face it finally clicks. Hot Damn, that’s RD! So I go up, introduce myself and tell him how I really enjoy his music and what a great show he put on. I start to ask him for an autograph and picture but I then I remember that I left my purse with Z. Mother f*(&(^*%$!!!!!!! I get so mad at myself and just tell him that it was really nice to meet him and go sit down. UGH!!!!!! I’m still pissed at myself. Oh well……

Anyway, back to Jill. There were these two ladies in maybe their late 50’s seated in front of us. Every time Jill said or did something fun (read risqué) through body language they gave each other this look that was hilarious! I don’t think they knew that she was going to be so open about things of a sexual nature. Lol There was also a guy that made his way up to the front of the stage and acted a damn fool. I can’t even remember what in the devil she was singing because I was too busy laughing at him. I swear he looked like he was praise dancing to her song. Hotmess is all I can say. Lol All laughs aside, one thing I really, really liked is that Jill talked to the audience which she is not outside the norm. The things she shared helped the audience understand what she was going through when she wrote the lyrics. It gave a different perspective of how I understood certain songs to be and just made me appreciate her music even more. I could go on and on AND on about this chick but I won’t. Just know for me Jill is music and I’ll always be a fan.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm laughing at you being mad about leaving your purse and phone. I know you're hurt and I shouldn't be laughing but um BWAHAHAHAHAHA! [Runs for my life.]

Glad you enjoyed yourself.

AR Gal said...

You better sprint Freaky! lol Please continue to laugh cause my friends have been all day. lol

Ladynay said...

They came here, and I missed it. Sad too cuz I feel like going to a concert.

"You" is a fuck song and RD knows it! Hence the humping of the stage! LOL

Giving you what I got....musically