
Tuesday morning I was welcomed to a warm and fuzzy email advising me, and all my colleagues near and far, that a 2nd round of layoffs were on the way. My spidey sense usually doesn't fail and this time was no different as I figured this would happen (1) because the economy has passed the crapper and made it's way to the sewage, (2) receiving an email from massa requesting a time audit is never a good sign, and (3)the first round didn't eliminate enough people. I know that sounds harsh but when you are trying to cut costs, 5 people just won't do. You wouldn't have to make a 25 on the ACT's to figure that one out (is that even a high ACT score? I wouldn't know 'cause math ain't never been my friend.)
Needless to say, the mood at the plantation has been somewhat somber. Folks are doing their best to maintain and put their best foot forward but hey there's only so much fakin you can do when your job is at risk. I've been through this layoff thing a couple of times before (and have even been fired once before) and it doesn't get any easier. Losing your job is never easy but losing a job in this economy...maaaaaaaaan it's gotta be a different experience. And if my layoff pro-fashional tail can be honest, it's an experience that I'd prefer to keep as a part of my past.
One lady I was riding on the elevator with today made a comment (in an effort to make me feel better I suppose) that our department can't get any smaller (there are currently only four of us). I answered, "Yeah, I guess" because I didn't really want to get too deep. I was a floor away from my stop and had no time to chat it up.
Sidenote: The TV is on Fox and American Idol is on. I need to know who put that atrocious wig on Lil Rounds head. It looks like the stay puff marshmallow man went grunge and died on her head.
Anyway, so in my head I was thinking, just because we are a small department doesn't mean we won't be subject to dismissal. Hell, they may decide to do away with all of us. I'm laughing as I type but hey it could happen. The first go round wasn't even supposed to happen, let them tell it, but one day 5 folks just up and lost their jobs and that was all they wrote. What I do hope is that I get to keep my job but also that they don't delay this process any longer than necessary. To cover their butts, they've given themselves until the end of our FY (which is not until the end of June) to make the cuts.....*sigh*. I am certain they are they are reviewing "critical" positions now. And to cover my butt, I've been applying for other jobs. lol I did notice my boss having a meeting with her boss and the big boss the other day. I was going to wait until our regularly scheduled meeting next week to ask but I need to know...like now. My intent was to do it today but both of our schedules have been SO freaking hectic (that's supposed to be a good sign right?). I would have walked away disappointed because she wouldn't have had to time to go into depth like I would want.
Sooooooooo, that's that. Once we go through this next round, I think that will be it as far as layoffs. They have to have enough people in place to actually do the work. And since our work is raising money, it's not gonna happen if they don't at least have a skeleton crew in place. Wish me luck. :)



2 comments:
I got my fingers crossed you make it passed the second round or someone else likes your resume enough to put you on.
Good luck!
Me too! lol Thanks. :-)
Post a Comment