Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Here's the thing...............

.................I've got lupus.

The facts:
  • was just diagnosed two weeks ago
  • it's incurable and genetic. My big sis reminded me that my paternal grandmother had it. I was only 11 when she passed away so I really don't remember much.
  • my beautician found a spot on my scalp a few months back
  • I tried OTC (over the counter) stuff but it didn't work
  • Went to see a dermatologist
  • He performed a biopsy. Translation, he cut the 'spot' out of my scalp so that it could be tested leaving me with a mini-crater in mah head!!
  • It didn't really hurt but I felt him cutting. It's healing nicely. :)
  • He thought it might be discoid lupus but based on the results of the biopsy and blood work it turned out to be systemic which is the really sucky kind.
  • Here's a good explanation of all the types if you're interested.
  • Went to see a rhuematologist (sp?)
  • He did more blood work and had me do some weird 'exercises'.
  • I have no symptoms other than this thing in mah head. Back up....I do have another alopecia type spot in my scalp but you can't see it.
  • After visiting the Rhue and my PCP, it has been determined that (1) I am doing extremely well ...............so far and (2) it is not uncommon for one to have lupus and not have many of the common symptoms associated with it.
  • No meds for me right now...only an emergency prescription for steroids should I experience a flare up.
  • I challenged that method to both doc's but apparently the drugs most folks take while their lupus is active is not something you want to take while it's inactive (which mine is). According to them, the side effects could do more damage especially if nothing is happening...confusing right. Yeah for me too.
  • Anyhow, my state could very well change at any minute.....here's hoping it stays this way
  • Z has been AMAZING...I couldn't ask for a better support system during this time
  • I still haven't told my mom. I was going to while she was here with the kids but I thought better of it. She was beat and I figured it would be better to wait when I go up to Memphis for the reunion so we can have some QUIET one on one time (hopefully).
  • I haven't told my other sister either. I was thinking I could also just sit them all down together to have a big pow wow. As you can see I have not thought through the details all that well. :)
So that's the quick and clean version of my life for the past few months. I'm sure you all have noticed that I really don't get too deep and bogged down with 'heavy' (and personal) stuff on here. Posting this was actually a big step for me. I like to keep it light and upbeat and it will stay that way just maybe with an added update or two here and there about my status.

In better news, I bought these today from Target. They have them in black in the store and teal and gray online if you're interested.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't know if you read LadyLee's blog but she has discussed having lupus (diagnosed yrs ago). I'm sure you can do a search on her blog and found her posts. She's talked about how she maintain her symptoms and how she keeps them under control.

Hope everything works out for the good.

AR Gal said...

I think I may have stopped by her blog a time or two but I don't follow regularly. Thanks for the tip!

AR Gal said...

Here's hoping indeed...thanks for the hugs!

Anonymous said...

hey lady... ((((HUGS)))

praying that it STAYS inactive

One of my coworkers had lupus and she functioned very well. One of those you'd never know unless she told you type things.

I need to go look around in tarjay :)

AR Gal said...

Thanks Patrice!

Goliano said...

Darnit, Wilma! I'm praying it stays inactive and you healthy, too.

AR Gal said...

You and me both. Thanks man!

Nerd Girl said...

Sending positive vibrations that your lupus will continue to lay low. I've got an uncle with lupus - we wouldn't know he has it except for the fact that he keeps telling us! Hoping for the same for you. Be well.

Nerd Girl said...

Oh, and those shoes? Ca-yute!

AR Gal said...

Thanks Nerd Girl!! Oh and they look even better in person.

Babs said...

I don't know a whole lot about lupus, but if you aren't taking drugs everyday I'd say that was a blessing.

Stay strong!

XOXOXO

SoniaB said...

Delurking to say Lupus sucks. I'm glad you're feeling fine though. My sister has Lupus and since finding out not much in her life has changed. I wish the same for you.
Love your blog.

AR Gal said...

THanks Babs!

Hey SoniaB! Thanks for delurking and the well wishes. :)

kisz4tj said...

A+ for going to get yourself checked out. I'm so glad its inactive and I'll be praying that it remains that way.

Anonymous said...

OMG! Of course I will be praying for you..and of course I will be jacking your shoes!!!

I always stop by but don't always holla..but it's on now!!

AR Gal said...

Thanks kisz4tj and TIH! I really appreciate that. :)

Giving you what I got....musically