Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Family Reunion and Roots........................

The reunion was pretty much everything I expected it to be. I got a chance to meet and reconnect with my extended family and recalled a few faces from my childhood. I still don't know them but at this point I at least know we are related so if I see them in the street I can speak. lol While there, most of the folks in charge of this reunion had an impromptu meeting to discuss when the next reunion would take place (next year or the year after). It was decided to have it in 2010 since the matriarch (and oldest living member) of our family is up there in age (about 95 or 96). It was even suggested to have something with her prior to next summer as my (2nd or 3rd) cousin so eloquently stated, when you get that old a year is equivalent to 5. LMAO I got my bluntness honestly. The gathering was actually supposed to be in her honor but her child that cares for her was unable to make it so the show went on just without her.

You may (or may not) be wondering why I haven't laid eyes on these folks in years. Let me lay a bit of foundation just so you'll know what's what. My great grandparents had a total of 10 kids, one boy (who died as a baby) and 9 girls that followed. My grandmother was the 3rd, no wait 4th born. She had only one child, my father, who passed away when my mom was carrying me. Got it? Cool. So, when she passed away her WILL stated that most everything went to the kids and some other things went to her sisters. Makes good sense right? Yeah to me too. Anyway, her sisters decided that what they did get was not enough so these batty heifers took us to court. Yeah you read that right....TO COURT.

Ain't that some shit for your ass?

I really don't know why they felt the need to go to such extremes especially since my grannie was not wealthy AT.ALL. Never mind yes I do, can you say GREED?? Now that I that I think about it, I recall them saying that they felt like they weren't appropriately compensated for all the help they provided to my grandmother during her illness (she had breast cancer).

Again I say, ain't that some shit for your ass???

I didn't realize that compensation was expected when you voluntarily helped one during an illness and on their deathbed. Especially when it's your own flesh and blood. Anyway, I can't recall all the details of the verdict but I do remember having to auction her house, the items in it and having to split the earnings with them. She had a lot of antique stuff too that would have gotten good money in this day and age. With the exception of my oldest sister, we were still school age. My mom was so outdone by the entire ordeal she just said fugg it and rolled with the (gut) punches. As you can imagine, our contact with them going forward was few and far in between....hence why I haven't seen them in forever in a day. My mom still kept in contact with them (primarily the remaining sister because she lived in the same town as us) but me for the most part.......ehhhhhhhhh no.

Now I figure that was the past, this is now and even if I never go to another reunion I still made an effort. Tell me why I just realized that we didn't get a t-shirt??!! WTH!!

10 comments:

Freaky Deaky said...

You know they'd only take you to court to get the price of the shirt back right? Sorry, I have issues with a whole side of my family. Not quite like yours but I can understand.

So did these same people smile in your face and acting like nothing ever happened or did they avoid you?

Glad the reunion wasn't a bad experience for you.

patrice said...

Girl folk will do damn near anything for some money.

Ladynay said...

Estates will tear up a family! And like you said, most of the time the departed didn't even have that much to divy up! UGH!

Don't even worry about the shirt. I have a feeling that if you call them up for one you'll never hear the end of it! :-(

AR Gal said...

Freaky, well they smiled of course. lol The folks that were there had nothing to do with all those shenanigans, that was their parents doing. The apple usually never falls to far away from the tree (or in this case trees) though. :)

Patrice, chile who you tellin? *smh*

Ladynay, yep! I'm not worried about it, it just crossed my mind. :)

Anonymous said...

People will act UP if they think they can get a lil somethin'. All it takes is an obituary and people start comin out the wood-work.

Anonymous said...

Why am I not surprise? People will act a fool over money.

Something similar happen when my uncle (who had money) died. He left a will but people still wanted to fight. My mom was just like give me what he left me and that's it.

AR Gal said...

LMAO @ 'all it takes is an obituary'. It's sad but so true!!

Southern, don't they though?

Anonymous said...

That totally sucks that people act like that.

My parents "collect antiques" - what I really mean is their house is filled with crap they bought at estate sales and other random places. My sister and I have already told our sis-in-law that she can have EVERYTHING in it. The only other option is a match and a can of gasoline. Aint no way I'm going through all that clutter!

kisz4tj said...

That is WILD!!! Sisters....REALLY? SMH So they were doing their job until she tanked and they could collect? Pass go and collect $200? Say wha? AND you ain't go tee?? hmph They should be totally ashamed.

AR Gal said...

LOL @ the 'rents savedbythebrew!


Yes Kisz, sisters! Ain't that a blip? And no I didn't get a t-shirt. I don't think any were ordered so that was probably the problem. lol

Giving you what I got....musically