After we got to Memphis Saturday, I informed my mom that the kids had about $100 left from the money their parents had sent down with them. She advised me that I should keep it. I told her that wouldn't be right and that I wasn't comfortable with keeping money that was not intended for me. Now if I found some money in bank bag in the parking lot of a store.....totally different. LOL!!
Mama: Well if you don't want it, I'll take it.
Me: (head cocked to side side) Mother, really..........*sigh*
Mama: I'm just saying with the time and gas you spent picking them up and dropping them back off it's only fair. How about I have a conversation with her in private about it?
Me: Ummmmmm, no. It's not that serious.
Mama: Suit yourself.
I was talking with Mistah about it after I returned and he said that he agreed with my mom. Along with the things she mentioned, he stated that I had taken a week off from work to do this and had dedicated seven full days to caring for these kids. And even though it was paid time, it was still time that I didn't have to take off if I didn't want to.
Exactly. I didn't have to. I could have told her no at any point but I chose to do it. Actually the original plan was for them to drive down to our house and pick the boys up. I opted to drive them back because I wanted peace and rest during the remainder of the weekend. Adding two additional adults (one of which probably would have wanted to cover the entire central AR area visiting folks during the short time she was here) and an eight month old child to the mix would have definitely not allowed that to happen.
$100 is a lot of money to me but not enough to create unnecessary drama....especially when it wasn't mine in the first place.
What about ya'll? Would you have taken the money?



12 comments:
Nah.
I would've used money sent for their expenses - food, activities, etc. - and sent any left over $ back with them.
When I've keep my nephews when they were younger, my sister would sometimes give me money. I would usually just add that money to my money and didn't worry about using my money just for me and using the money that was sent just for them.
In this situation, I really don't know.
NG, yep.
Southern, well that's what I did. I didn't come out of pocket for anything that they did with the exception of BBA #3's cake, present and a few other goodies for he and his brother.
I would have given her the remainder of the money. Then if she wanted to give it back as a thank you, I would have took it. :-)
I would've given it back.
I would've given it to Freaky Deaky. What?! I'd call my sister and see what she wanted me to do with the money. If she wanted or needed it back then you aren't losing anything and if she says keep it then you have an extra $100.
Yeah, I've have given it back to sis. If she insisted I take it, I'd happily accept.
I think I would have said I have $100 left over if she said keep it. I would have.
But my other personality says she would have just kept it period! LOL!
Before my comment on this post, let me say this. I'm not a frequent commentor on this blog, but I've been here a few times, and I've seen you comment several times on southern gal's blog...Anyway I always thought that Ar Gal was a play on words, like "Our Gal" and "Argyle" because you know...I thought you liked argyle clothing, like socks and sweaters Is that stupid?...It never occurred to me until this post, that it stands for Arkansas gal, huh. Anyway you learn something everyday.
Now my comment. I think I'm going to have to go against the grain here. I say keep the money, and keep it moving. I mean there was a time I probably would say no, but now. I would definitely keep it. Yes, you chose to take off, it was your choice, but you still sacrifice your time off to watch other, not exactly sure whose, but others kids. For a week. Take the 100 bucks and by yourself a nice thank you present.
I didn't learn this till last year, but I don't know how to receive money from others, I'm learning to now.
Argyle? That's funny.
Yeah I hear ya regarding learning how to receive but I figure that's only if it's offered...which it wasn't. This convo only came about because of my mom's idea that the money should automatically go to me (even though she and their great-aunt were both involved with caring for them (my nephews) a week each as well).
At any rate, it's too late as it's been a week and they are long gone back home. :)
Thanks for stopping through. Come back anytime!
*correction* It wasn't offered by my sister and her husband (the people who sent the money).
There would have been no way I would have kept it.
Post a Comment