Monday, July 16, 2007

Adventures in Prophesizing and Neighbors


So this weekend was not filled with a lot of activity on my part other than walking my dog a lot but I did have some interesting experiences.

Let's start with my encounter at the laundromat. I had taken my comforter there to get it cleaned and ran into this guy that I see occassionally around town. This guy is older, probably in his 50's. I originally met him I believe when I was working at Wally World when I was in school. Each time since our first meeting, he always asks the same questions. Do you go to church around here? Why not? Can I convince you to come to my church? After unsuccessfully trying to talk me into going to his house of worship he, without fail, then begins to preach to me. Oh lawd, why??!! I hate when folks do this. Unless I ask, please keep your testimony to those that request it or obviously have some interest in what you have to say. Now don't get me wrong, he is a nice man and I treat him with respect because he is my elder, however, if it's obvious that my face registers no interest and I have not visited your church after all this time........just keep it light and keep it moving. Don't get me wrong folks, it's not that I am without faith, I just choose to worship in my own personal way and have my own relationship with Christ.

Anyway, back to the laundromat. So he's talking, I'm looking and without missing a beat he asks me about coming to visit his church. I just smile and tell him I will think about (knowing good and well I will not be going). Sue me! lol The convo continues to flow and I bring up other faiths. He then drops the bomb on me and tells me that there is no other faith than Christianity. Pump your breaks homie......WHAT?! He then proceeds to tell me that he hopes that is not the path that I am going down and to not let anyone lead me down that path because that is just the devil trying to pull me away from Christ and that once you choose to worship one of the other faiths you are in and cannot be pulled away. So I ask him was he comparing other faiths/religions to a cult? He responds that it's not that but it's close. Hmmmm, ooooookkkkaaaaayyy. At this point, I have tuned him out because he is talking a bunch of nonsense and wrap up the convo quickly after that. I just find it really peculiar that some folks of the christian faith are quick to put down things that they know absolutely nothing about. How can you judge while at the same time call yourself a christian and have these preconceived ideas about things you really know nothing about? And you call yourself saved, hmph.

Moving on.....

For the 2nd time in 3 weeks, our neighbors yard was toilet papered. I didn't know folks even did that anymore. She has a son that is of teenage age so we are assuming that some kid(s) he knows are the culprits. Well, Z and I were sitting out in the garage last night talking when all hell broke loose. Her kids (she has a younger son as well) were in the driveway messin around with a couple of friends that were visiting. At this point, two of the boys had made their way from the driveway to the grass wrestling. The mom comes out and is just staring down looking at them and then she starts going off. She was fussing about them f-in around while their was still toilet tissue in the tree and in the grass. I could definitely feel her on that one. Then again, I would have had the kids and their friends out in the hot azz sun cleaning all that crap up in the first place. She walks back into the garage and starts fussin about something else. Apparently, someone had spilled something and of course, neither of the boys claimed to have done it. That pisses her off even more and she starts screaming about she was sick of this and that. I go inside the house to get a cup of water, when I return the mom is sitting on the ground crying. OMG!!!!! I ask Z, what is going on. He thinks that she fell. *gasp* All of a sudden I hear her screaming at her kid to leave her alone, she is hurt and to just get away. *gasp* The kid walks off down the street and I debate whether to go across the street or not because I wasn't sure if she would really want to be bothered...ya know. It was rather akward, I know especially for her having people see what was going on (we were not the only other people outside at the time). I make the decision to go across the street to make sure she was alright. The closer I got to her I saw that her knee was bleeding not bad but still....... I ask her if she fell, if she was okay, did she need anything for her knee, etc. She is bawlin and tells me no that she would be fine she just needs to sit there for a minute. She also apologizes for us having to witness all that went down. I let her know it was okay.....I felt bad for her. You could tell that probably wasn't the only thing/stress she was dealing with. We went inside not long after that. The tree still has toilet paper in it.

What about you guys? What akward situations have you witnessed/been a part of? Have you ever had anyone preach to you? How did you handle it?

8 comments:

Ladynay said...

No weird situations come to mind right now.

I've been preached too (who hasn't) sometimes I give the blank face, sometimes I get an attitude, sometimes I start quoting or finishing scripture for them so they'd leave me alone. Depends on how I am feeling.

For some folks its not good enough if you believe *eyeroll*

Anonymous said...

I've had people trying to preach to me. I hate when they try to stop you when you are going about your business. Usually I just let them know I go to church and believe in God and say have a good day. Then walk away. I don't have time to sit there listening to you when that's do what I want to do.

Anonymous said...

I'm not aware of any akward situations at the moment.

People preach to me all the time...they usually get an uh huh and me moving about my business.

I had a friend try to convert me...she never succeeded and we lost touch.

AR Gal said...

@LadyNay, I know right. He was pretty much telling me I was doomed to hell.

@Southern, exactly! When I spoke to him it was just a quick wave and how are you doing since he was in the middle of a convo with another guy in the place. He dropped that convo and started his save the sinner plan with me. I just don't get some folks.

@Black Mamba, next time he is not getting a pass from me. He will feel the wind beneath my wings as I pass on by him (after I speak of course, lol).

CreoleInDC said...

Folks start preaching to me and I repeat everything they say back to them. Yup...I revert to playground antics. Makes em madder than helz.

Little Brown Girl said...

One of my Best Friend's father-in-law is a preacher. We're very close to her husbands side of the family so one day I'm over there just hanging out and Papa Day (thats what we call the Reverend LOL) comes and sits next to me on the couch. It was the day Mother Teresa died and so there was a bunch of stuff on the news about it. Papa Day goes "Roycee, when Mother Tee died, where do you think she went? Heaven or Hell?!?!" Me: *blank stare* ummmmmm Heaven, she is Mother Teresa! Papa Day: "Chile' please you know the Word so you also know that she bust Hell wide open when she entered it!" Me: *Blank Stare* He started preaching at that very moment about the bible says this that and the third. I cant even recall the exact reasons why, something about the Catholic faith versus the Pentecost. Alls I know is that's Mother Teresa and aint know way in this world that woman can be in hell LOL!! Older people of faith can be so dayum radical sometimes LOL!!

I feel bad for your neighbor...was she black? Black parents usually are a little more no nonesense then that!

AR Gal said...

No she's white. She's a really nice lady. My boyfriend told me yesterday that she came over while I was walking the dog to thank me for coming over to check on her. She knows the 1st time it happened it was some friends of the kid but the 2nd time she thinks was his ex-girlfriend.

The toilet paper is still in the tree. lol

The Detective said...

I love talking to people like the laundry dude. I get them so worked up. I make them explain dang near every scripture, story and person in Christianity.

Faith is personal (IMO) and they really need to pump their breaks.

Giving you what I got....musically