Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Gone but Never Forgotten



It has been exactly one year today that my family lost its matriach, my Grandmother Virgie. She was a mother to 3, grandmother to 3, great grandmother to 4, and a friend to many. She was known by many names but only one describes her for me.....my grandmama. Throughout her life, she had to face many obstacles but always did it with a smile. She always told me growing up, smile even when you don't want to but more importantly smile because you should want to. That didn't make sense to me as a kid but I've grown older and have since had many life lessons.....I now know exactly what she meant. That small bit of advice has served me well.








I will never forget the walks to the doughnut shop with just she and I when she came to visit us during the summer, I will never forget the visits with her and us taking the bus around Memphis because she couldn't drive (I always thought that was the coolest thing), I will never forget the little notes of encouragement she sent to me while I was away in college (and the $5 she sent with them to buy me lunch), I will never forget the random 2 minute phone calls she made just to let me know that everything would be okay. To this day I still think we had a connection beyond just the surface because without fail, everytime I was feeling down she would call to lift my spirits. I will never forget the time we had together in this life.

I was many a time a spoiled brat, but she was always a wonderful grandmama. She had a long life, at 90 she left us to go on for her soul to finally rest. I miss her but I am not sad because I knew she was not happy with the state Alzheimer's had placed her in. I saw it everytime I looked into her eyes. With each visit, the warmth and brightness that I had come to expect had been replaced with something else I wasn't used to. I'm glad her suffering is now over and that her spirit is free. She is gone but never forgotten.

I love you Grandmama!

9 comments:

Tasha said...

May your grandmother rest in peace and have a beautiful eternal life. I know what you mean about missing her but not being sad...my grandmother passed from end stage dementia (advanced alzheimer's) and I'd rather know she was with God then living a life she could no longer stand or control.

AR Gal said...

Thanks Tasha!

Paula D. said...

Very sweet! I miss my grandma also & always smile when I think about her :-)

Freaky Deaky said...

Are you doing anything special today?

My grandmother is going through Alzheimer's and you can just hear the sadness and fear in her voice.

It's good that she no longer has to suffer anymore.

Anonymous said...

My great grandmother had Alzheimer. One minute she would be sitting there talking to us then the next asking us who we were and why are we in her house. That's a terrible disease.

When I was in college my grandmother would call me asking if I needed money. I laughed everytime I opened the mail and saw she sent me $5 or $10. lol

Sissy said...

Grandparents are indeed very special people. It's wonderful that you have such good memories of your Grandmama.

CreoleInDC said...

That was beautiful Princess.

Ladynay said...

RIP grandmama!

AR Gal said...

Thanks everyone for your kinds words. It was just my little way of remembering her.

Giving you what I got....musically