After reading a post by LaBella Noire ( http://labellanoire.blogspot.com/2007/07/homefront.html) about her highway travels from hell this past weekend, it made me think about some of my less than stellar experiences on the road.
I know you all have been there before...riding along the freeway and then you see it. A gleam that catches your eye off to the side of the road but you are not quite sure what it is. After a quick second glance, you notice that gleam is the twinkle of an eye from one of lifes beautiful creatures......a deer. Now not only do you notice the deer you make the connection that a few of it's crew from the friends and family network has joined in the midnight rendevous. Now if you are anything like me, your next thought after making the connection is let me get the hell away from these things before they decide they want to take it to the streets and hit my car. Little did I know that I would be afforded the opportunity to get up close and personal with one.
Almost every year since 1999, I have gone to Nashville, TN to party it up with my BFF for TSU's homecoming. Picture it, AR, USA November 2005. Another friend and I were traveling on I-40 en route to Nashville to make the trip. While passing through Forrest City ( a town about half way in between Little Rock and Memphis) Bambi decides she had had enough of this cold cruel world and inadvertently takes her own life. As I was passing an eighteen wheeler, the deer darts out in front of our car. I am trying desperately not to freak out while trying to remember to breathe and keep the car on the road at the same time. Just as quickly as the deer was in front of our car she darts over in front of the big truck and meets her untimely demise. That truck knocked the hell out of that animal. She slid back in front of the car and right over to the grassy area where she came from. Damn Bambi! Oh well, you did it to yourself. lol
In Memory of Forrest City Bambi
Sunrise-?
Sunset- November 2005



7 comments:
*knocking on wood* A deer has never jumped in front of my car. But I'm not complaining.
One thing they say don't do is swerve to miss the deer b/c you can lose control of your drive. That way you are saving your life instead of the deer.
Damn.... [picturing the scene...]
Forrest City Bambi! HAHAHAHHAHA
I have had my share of bambi encounter, fortunately none totaled my car!
I knew a dude who hit a cow once and totalled his car. I'm glad you weren't hurt.
Thanks for the tip Southern!
@Black Mamba....I know. I swear I have an army of angels surrounding me cause honey I have been in too many wrecks during my younger years....and yet my mama would still insure me. She's a better woman than I, lol.
@LadyNay...that's the only name I could think of. :-)
@Creole...a cow...whoa! I don't think I can top that story but I have another that will give him a run for his money though. More on that later. lol
You are dead wrong. LOL
I have to travel that way when I go back home..to Atlanta..now I am going to be cracking up..and watching for Bambi.OMG LOL
LOL @ Forest City Bambi. I'm glad you weren't hurt!
Post a Comment