I don't know about you but that phrase always makes me cringe. Why? 'Cause favors people ask of me always seem to be bit much IMO.
Example 1:
My eldest sister: Could you do me a favor?
Me: Depends
ES: Would you mind taking off work, flying up to STL to help me drive from STL to Atlanta? I don't think I could make it all that way having to deal with both boys.
Me: Ummmm, don't you have a husband?
ES:So I guess that means no.
Me: *silence*
Example 2:
Co-worker: Could you do me a favor?
Me: Depends
CW: Could you drive me to (insert restaurant name here)? I need to pick up the lunch ordered for boss lady and I don't how to get there.
Me: *trying not to blow my breath and roll my eyes* I'll go with you but you're driving.
Example 3:
Friend: Could you do me a favor?
Me: Depends
Friend: Would you mind helping me with a shower I'm throwing next weekend? It's for such and such I used to work with.
Me: Who?
Friend: such-n-such. I don't think you met her or maybe you did, I don't remember
Me: Hmmmmmm, where's it at?
Friend: In Sherwood
Me: Hmmmmmmmm
Friend: My sister-in-law will be there to help to but I think I may need an extra pair of hands
Me: Hmmmmmmmmm, I'll think about it and call you back.
Example 1 was cut and dry no for me because my sister was going to a family reunion of some close family friends. My mom was also going but she was flying....as my sister should have. All of us had been invited but I had chosen not to go (and had told her this on several occassions). I still cannot wrap my head around why she asked me to help her drive down there. My folks work my nerve.
The request in example 2 really wasn't so bad but it was just the fact that she asked me to drive? The hell??!! If YOU need help, then YOU are driving....case closed.
Example 3 just happened yesterday. I told her I would think about it so that's what I'm doing now. As stated, she is throwing a shower for some girl she used to work with. I don't know the girl and if I ever saw her when I used to stop into the shop to visit with my friend I don't remember her. She told me her name but ummmm yeah...it didn't ring a bell. I asked her where it is being held for a reason because I thought maybe it was going to be in the town where I live (In Conway about 30 minutes away from Little Rock). Sherwood is on the other side of North Little Rock (which is just across the river from LR)....basically a nice little drive.
My first thought is hell no. My thing is this, I wouldn't ask my friends to go out of their way like that, especially for someone they didn't know. I was talking with Z about it last night and he said that there is no right or wrong response to her request but maybe it would help if I thought about it from the aspect of even though I don't know the girl, my friend needs my help. Hmmmm, true but still. Either way I'll let her know something by tomorrow at the latest.
What do ya'll think? Am I being mean? Please be honest.....it's always better than the giving the "right answer" in my book. Thanks!! :-D



6 comments:
Ex 1.- would be a no for me. Especially if I have to come out of pocket to pay for the plane ticket.
Ex 2 - I would have said the same thing. I'll go but you driving.
Ex 3 - Damn Z for having a rational mind. LOL He broke it down. Does your friend help you out in a time of need? How big of a shower is she having to need extra people? I'm just saying. lol
In the end, I would probably still say no. I don't like being in uncomfortable positions and I'm sure I would be uncomfortable in a room with a bunch of strangers. Plus, I'm sure it would be an inconvince for me. Like you, I would never ask my friends to go out of their way for someone they don't know.
He is rational as hell ain't he! lol *sigh* I'm still thinkin....lol
Has she helped me out in the time of need.....*sigh* I just thought about something,yeah she has. Damn! lol
I dunno how many people are going to be at the shower though..I didn't ask. lol
lol I would have said hell no to sister.
I wouldve done the same as you for coworker...
and knowing me i would help with the shower, only bc i like doing things like that.
1 = NO
2 = She drives
3 = If she's my friend, yes, I'd help her, even if I didn't know the girl. Mostly it's just decorating, helping with the games, and possibly getting the food out...no biggie...and it's free food ;-)
Ok...so what are you going to do?
Example 1: Nope. You said you couldn't or didn't want to attend the reunion before so why would you come out of pocket and go out of your way to go someplace you didn't want to in the first place. Sister would've gotten the dial tone.
Example 2: Doubt it. Gas prices are high. GPS systems are getting cheap and Google Maps and Mapquest are absolutely free. If it wasn't too far and she offered to buy me lunch then maybe. Otherwise, not gonna happen.
Example 3: Depends on the friend. If the situation was reversed and I know the friend would help me then I would. Friends help each other out. If said friend was shady and trifling then I'd say no. Z is right.
1. hell no
2. suggest mapquest/yahoo/rand mcnally
3. depends on how good a friend your friend it. Would she do it for you?
Post a Comment